EEAE story goes back to 1954, when for the first time was founded in Greece an organization competent to promote peaceful nuclear energy and technology applications, under the name "Greek Atomic Energy Commission”.
Next, it was separated from the National Centre for Scientific Research “Demokritos” and was re-established in 1987 by introducing its contemporary operation as a regulatory authority by virtue of Law no. 4310/2014. Some of the milestones of EEAE course and evolution from 1954 till nowadays are listed below:
Anniversary of 30 years for the regulatory role of EEAE based on its re-establishment by the law 1733/1987.
New legislative framework of EEAE, as regulatory authority (Law 4310/2014). Strengthening of EEAE supervisory and regulatory role; EEAE acquires administrative and financial independence and is given the form of public entity.
Recognition of EEAE as Regional Centre for Education and Training in Radiation, Transport and Waste Safety - Long term agreement with IAEA ratified by Law
International peer review (Integrated Regulatory Review Service, IRRS mission) in Greece
National infrastructure and know-how in terms of security has been strengthened both for activities and facilities
Entry into force of the current Radiation Protection Regulations
Delegation of competence for artificially produced non ionizing radiation to EEAE
Reconstitution of ΕΕΑΕ by the Law 1733/1987
Administrative and operational separation of EEAE from the National Center of Scientific Research "Demokritos"
The Nuclear Research Center "Demokritos" starts to operate within the EEAE (having the status of that period).
An organization named as" Greek Atomic Energy Commission" (EEAE) is established with main objective the promotion of the peaceful uses of nuclear energy and nuclear technology