The Ionizing Radiation Calibration Laboratory (IRCL) is a secondary standard calibration laboratory which has developed and maintains the national standards of Gy, Sv, Cb/kg for gamma, X and beta radiation in Greece. IRCL performs calibrations and in terms of Air Kerma, Absorbed Dose, Personal Dose Equivalent Hp(10) and Hp(0,07), Ambient Dose Equivalent H*(10) and Exposure in the fields of radiotherapy, diagnostic radiology and mammography as well as in radiation protection and individual monitoring fields.
Since 2000, represents Greece in the European Association of National Metrology Institutes (EURAMET) in the field of ionizing radiation. In 2002, IRCL submitted the Calibrations and Measurement Capabilities (CMCs) in order to be recorded to the European database for measurement capabilities and qualifications of the European metrology laboratories.
Furthermore, IRCL participates in intercomparison exercises among standard and sub-standard metrology laboratories in Europe, as well as in metrology scientific programs organized by EURAMET. As a result, IRCL ensures that the accuracy and credibility of dosimetric quantities and calibration methods are remain at the highest level. In 2003, the Hellenic Institute of Metrology (EIM) assigned IRCL as an “affiliated to EIM” gamma, X and beta ionizing radiation metrology laboratory.
IRCL covers the calibration needs for a variety of different type instruments used in ionizing radiation facilities, such as the departments of radiology, nuclear medicine and radiotherapy in hospitals as well as radiation protection instruments used in industries and installations with radioactive sources. In addition, IRCL develops and organizes standard measurements methods applicable to ionizing radiation, and indentify future developments and needs in ionizing radiation metrology.
All calibration services are accredited according to the ISO 17025 criteria.
The main tasks of the IRCL are:
• to establish and maintain the national standards of dosimetric quantities and units (Cb/kg, Gy and Sv) for gamma and X-ray radiation
• to develop techniques and calibration methods in the ionizing radiation field.
• to develop and promote the metrology know-how to science, industry and society
• to sustain calibration traceability between primary standards and end user’s instruments
• to provide calibrations in different type of equipment used for ionizing radiation measurements.
• to improve dosimetric accuracy and reliability of ionizing radiation measurements and to promote the compatibility of dosimetric methods in order to achieve harmonization and uniformity of dosimetry in ionizing radiation laboratories
• to advice, inform & guide the end users of ionizing radiation on dosimetry issues, as well as to exchange experience and knowledge
• to represent Greece in European and international organizations on issues related to metrology of ionizing radiation, as well as in other organizations for the mutual recognition of measurement results.