EEAE has been operating since 2003 as the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) Regional Training Centre in Europe for radiation, transport and waste safety.
Following its successful evaluation in 2008 and 2015 by an international team of experts - Education and Training Appraisal (EduTA) – EEAE was recognized by the IAEA as a Regional Training Centre (in English) for the region of Europe and Central Asia on the safety in the use of ionizing radiation, transport of radioactive materials and management of radioactive waste. The relevant long-term recognition agreement was signed in July 2011, while its legislative ratification was completed in October 2012 (Law 4085/2012).
- underpins the high competence level of EEAE staff and the Greek scientific community in general,
- certifies the country's expertise and leadership in radiation and nuclear safety education, and
- strengthens the safety culture both nationally and internationally.
1. Postgraduate Education Program "Radiation protection and safe use of radiation sources"
EEAE operates the Postgraduate Education Program "Radiation protection and safe use of radiation sources", which provides education and training in radiation protection and basic safety principles. The 22-week program is co-organized and co-financed by the IAEA and concerns mainly young scientists from the region of Eastern Europe and Central Asia.
The successful implementation of the program is ensured by the contribution of educational and research institutions collaborating with EEAE. More specifically, for the implementation of the program, the following institutes cooperate with EEAE:
- the Laboratory of Medical Physics of the Medical School of the National and Kapodistrian University of Athens,
- the Medical Physics Laboratory of the Department of Medicine of the University of Ioannina,
- the Department of Nuclear Technology of the National Technical University of Athens, and
- the National Center for Scientific Research (NCSR) "Demokritos".
The implementation of the program is also supported by nursing institutions and industrial facilities with their technical infrastructure and experienced staff.
From 2003 to 2019, about 100 scientists from 30 European countries have been trained in the Postgraduate Education Program "Radiation protection and safe use of radiation sources".
2. Providing training in the context of seminars, scholarships and scientific visits
- organizes international training seminars in radiation protection and nuclear safety lasting 1-2 weeks. The seminars are attended by scientists and security officials from Europe, Asia and Africa.
- provides, in the context of scholarships and scientific visits, training and internships to foreign scientists in matters of radiation protection, regulatory policy, dosimetry, calibration of radiation instruments and environmental radioactivity.
In the course of seminars, scientific visits and scholarships, more than 660 scientists from 50 countries in Europe, Asia and Africa have been trained in subjects related to the responsibilities of EEAE.