The programme Safe Cross – Border Transportation of Hazardous Materials: Orphan Radioactive Sources (STRASS)» is implemented within the framework of the INTERREG IPA Cross Border Cooperation Programme CCI 2014 TC 16 I5CB 009 that offers ample opportunities for cooperation, good neighborly relations and socio-economic development at the cross border area of Greece and the Republic of North Macedonia.
The project deals with green transportation and one of the challenges is to minimize any risks of accidents and pollution with hazardous materials.
The main objective of the project is: Non-experts in the radiological field, such as front line officers, will be familiarized with radiation detection, radiation hazards, and measuring and relaying technical information obtained from instruments for subsequent analysis by the scientific experts. This complexity and the need for optimized use of radiation measurement equipment obviously call for thorough training of the front line officer and the other competent authorities relative to their roles in the State’s national nuclear security plan.
The duration of the programme is 24 months (starting date 20 June 2019) and the total budget 946.452,00 €. The partners of the programme are the following institutions:
- Alexander Technological Educational Institute of Thessaloniki-Department of Automation Engineering
- Aristotle University of Thessaloniki-Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Engineering Institution of the Republic of North Macedonia
- Greek Atomic Energy Commission
- Protection and Rescue Directorate of the Republic of North Macedonia
- Ss. Cyril and Methodius University in Skopje - Faculty of Mechanical Engineering